East Lothian Council

Landlord reporting a change

If you are a Landlord or Agent (e.g. Letting Agent, Estate Agent, Housing Association etc.) and you have a tenant moving in or out of a rental property, you can inform us of the change using the form below.

Between tenants, the owner is liable for council tax and it is the owner, landlord or letting agents' responsibility to notify the Council of any change in tenancy within 21 days.

Any discount or exemption for an empty and unfurnished or unoccupied property must be applied for within 21 days of any change in tenancy, as these reductions will not be awarded retrospectively. Failure to apply within 21 days will result in any reduction only being awarded from the date of application.

Landlord registration

The owner of the property must be a registered landlord and will be required to supply their landlord registration number to the council tax team when requested.

To register, please contact Ewan Ritchie, Community Housing & Property Management, East Lothian Council:

Tel: 01875 824368
Email: landlordregistration@eastlothian.gov.uk
Web: www.landlordregistrationscotland.gov.uk

We are unable to register a tenant for council tax purposes until the owner has completed the landlord registration process. The owner will be held liable for any council tax due up to the date of registration.

How we use the information you provide.

a. Landlord or Agent details

Please note that fields marked * are required.

In order that we can deal with your enquiry quickly and fully, please provide as much information as you can. Failure to provide all of the information requested may result in a delay and we may need to contact you again for more information.

Landlord registration number //

If you are not a registered landlord, please click here

Landlord/Agent name *

Landlord/Agent address *

Landlord/Agent telephone number *

Landlord/Agent email address

If you have provided an email address, we will send your Council Tax bill by email.

Is the Landlord different from the owner of the property?

If you answered YES - Please go to section b.
If you answered NO or NOT KNOWN - Please go to section c.

b. Owner details

This section must be completed if the owner of the property is different from the Landlord.

Owner's title and full name

Owner's correspondence address and postcode

Owner's daytime telephone number

Owner's email address

c. Property details

Address and postcode of the rental property *

Between lets, was the property unoccupied?

Between lets, was the property furnished? *

Is the tenant moving in or out? *

If you are informing us of a move in AND a move out, please complete sections d. and e.

d. Tenant is moving in

Please enter the full names of all those moving in

The new tenants previous address (if known)

The date the new tenants moved in

The tenancy start date

e. Tenant is moving out

Please enter the full names of all those moving out

The old tenant's forwarding address (if known)

The date the old tenants moved out

The tenancy end date

Additional information

Any additional information you would like to provide

I declare that, to the best of my knowledge, the information given on this form is true and correct. I understand that it is an offence to knowingly make a false declaration. I understand that enquiries may be made to verify the information given and that this may include inspection of the property. If awarded a reduction, I undertake to inform the council tax team of any change in circumstances affecting the amount of council tax payable.